Tuesday, July 14, 2009

First day on the job.

My first day at my internship started out slowly as I had to wait for the tech guy to hook me up to the network and get me a password. I also got to listen to him trash my Macbook for 1) not having a password [I just got a new hard drive] and 2) not having Leopard [I'm terrified of change!] and 3) Needing too many updates [again, scared of change and I don't *like* iTunes and Skitch updates].

My first assignment, once I got the hang of the website, was to go through a ton of questions from the last website seminar, organize them, and answer them as best I could. The questions were about the upcoming colors and prints for F/W 09 and S/S 10, as well as how to incorporate trends into the mass market. There were also questions about texture, fabrication, and silhouette.

Some answers:
*This fall, yellow is continuing on as an important color, but taking a more muted stance. Think mustard and ochre rather than bright canary or buttercup pastels
*Also, tough, edgy style is not backing off--expect to see shades of gray as well as more black on black; depression-chic is waning, so these dark colors may be paired with brighter, more energetic colors
*For spring, washed out neutrals; contemporary and zen shades of white
*Intense--not neon, but saturated botanical colors--will be big for spring as well
*For any season, a good way to bring trends into the mainstream is to use them in moderation and with accessories: try pairing a trendy colored cardigan with basic work clothes for a fresh look; a bright, over-sized bag will bring your look to the next level; shoes can also lend a great pop of color to an otherwise neutral outfit
*No longer a cyclical fad, animal print has become a classic in the recent years; this fall the skins will take on a more 80s look than before--this is a good place to pair prints with neutrals

I was pretty excited that I got to dive right in on my first day. And the website? Wow. Blew me away.

0 comments: